Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Career Collage for Girls

For years, when I meet new people, they eventually get around to asking what I do for a living.  I typically begin to list the jobs I've had--- accountant, acquisitions coordinator, analyst, asset manager, author, now artist and apparel designer/upcycler-- and conclude by telling them I haven't yet made it out of the "A's".  So, it seems a natural evolution that I've had an epiphany as I have been talking to my daughter about what careers she might choose someday.  With a variety of interests and abilities, who says she has to pick just one?  As I began brainstorming, my Serendipity series flashed in my mind and blended right into the mix.  Why couldn't I write a book, illustrated with my Paper Doll series, that offered suggestions to savvy girls about what they might consider? Over the span of a week, my kids and I started writing down all the careers/callings we could think of alphabetically and the idea started to come to life.


To take the concept "out for a spin",  I started with Gigi (on left), one of my initial Serendipity pieces, now pictured as a costume designer.  With photoshop, I removed a little of this and that and then started adding words to the piece-- in varying fonts.  I love the fun of reading them all the choices and think they must be defined- maybe in a glossary.  Perhaps some may even used in a poem for opposite pages.  The idea is still percolating in my mind.  Your thoughts are welcome.

If you enjoyed this post, I humbly invite you to follow me on Twitter at braitzatl.  You can see other art pieces at www.bridgetteraitz.etsy.com, and the real fashions at www.echoclothingcompany.etsy.com




No comments:

Post a Comment