Saturday, July 21, 2012

London/UK Olympics--- Ready Set GO!










I admit I would love to head "cross the pond" and take in some of the London Olympics.  Having lived in Atlanta during our turn in 1996, I know it's a fun 17 days! So as I went about looking for something with the Union Jack on it to make me feel a wee bit more involved, I found nothing more than a pair of anklet socks.  Not nearly enough inspiration! Time to get busy and make one of my own!


With a gently-used grey and red hoodie that I had found when thrifting, I began my experiment.  Could I make my own Union Jack and put it on one side of a hoodie bolero?  Using a XXL navy blue velvet top (also warehoused for thrifting but waiting to be cut for trim), I started making my own flag on the navy blue background using strips from a white baby rib tee and some of the matching red of the hood that I had removed before starting.  Before long, my flag was taking shape, but I hit more than a few glitches.  At one point, I was even tempted to trash the whole idea, but gave myself 5 more minutes to work on it.  Lo and behold, it started to have that handmade charm.




Before too much longer, it was ready for some of the same blue trim (edged with a zigzag for extra pop). I pleated it around the perimeter and then perused the sleeves For that final panache, I decided to add bubble cuffs (think merry old England) and whipped some up from the navy velvet shirt scraps.






Done at last! I may not be able to visit England this time, but I will be watching the opening ceremonies in my Union Jack bolero.  This one is just too near to my heart to sell.


If you enjoyed this post, I humbly invite you to subscribe to my twitter feed found @braitzatl and check out my upcycled creations at www.echoclothingcompany.etsy.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment