Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Monarch No More- Create Fab Yard Art

About 8 years ago, I happened upon a giant metal butterfly at OldeTyme Pottery.  Somehow, my mom and I got it home and I painted it as a monarch butterfly. Faithfully, it guarded my waterfall and flowers, but lately had begun to look a tad tired.  The orange, yellow and black were fading and pieces of the original metal were showing through. Atlanta summers can be really hard on outdoor art! It was time for an upcycle- for my favorite pal in the garden!






Enter some inspiration from unlikely places.  First, I came across a fun gift card at Target in an intriguing set of colors.  It was also in the shape of a butterfly, so it was easy for me to connect the dots.  Follow that up with the perfect recyclable bag at my local TJ Maxx- again in a similar color palette- and I was convinced!







With a quick rinse from the hose and a return to a solid color--- courtesy of Rustoleum 2x Cover Satin in Aqua (found at my local Home Depot), I was in business.  With some artistic help on color from Nikki, it took about 10 days to complete a new and improved addition to my garden.  One that I will enjoy for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment