Sunday, March 25, 2012

Too Soon for a Tutu?



I have to admit---- no matter how old I get, I still love a tutu.  Whether it's on a teeny little spinning girl, or a grown up lady who is young at heart--- love, love, love them.  So, when I discovered this great floral sweater that reminded me of my childhood bedroom (all periwinkles, lilacs and soft blues), I envisioned a matching tutu-like skirt.  Only problem?  Couldn't find one.  So, enter a little ingenuity and Target!  I found a fun triple tiered skirt in the girl's department.  Snatching up a roomy XL, I headed to my local fabric store for inspiration.  Found it in the form of two shades of tulle- a lavender and a lilac. (Even the colors sound fun!)  On the right below is a pic of the beginning of my tutu vision.




For the bottom layer, I added diamonds of double layered lavender tulle every 1.5" or so along the gathering of the original layer.  By turning them diagonal, they added some fluttery interest at the bottom.  I left the original purple layer in the middle alone, as it matched the top well.  For the top layer, I added tulle by repeating the bottom layer concept, only with lilac diamonds, slightly closer together.  


The end result is an Easter outfit I can't wait to sport. Spring has come early in the ATL, so I don't think it's too early to take my new skirt out for a spin. Add a little black bolero sweater and some ballerina flats and I am ready to twirl.  Happy Spring!




No comments:

Post a Comment