Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hoodies Don't Kill People, Guns Do

I'm sure that by now Geraldo Rivera regrets his off-the-cuff comments that Trayvon Martin's hoodie was just as responsible for his death as the bullet that killed him.  However, the comment lingered with me and I tried to express my thoughts in ways most artists do best---in their art.  For me, that was with- no surprise-..a black hoodie.  In both my regular upcycling and also when I had collegiate licensing for GA and Georgia Tech, I loved using hoodies.  So, I grabbed a plain black hoodie and went to work with some thoughts on the situation.

Regardless of the facts of the case, a teenager is dead who didn't deserve to die walking down a street in America with tea and skittles.  So, isn't it time we started to break decades-old stereotypes and stop the hate so that innocent kids aren't misconstrued for being anything other than what they are---- a fellow human being loved by God?  Using various pieces of other tee shirts in the studio, I have mapped out a strategy on my hoodie.  If just one person takes it to heart--- including me-- it was worth the effort.




No comments:

Post a Comment