Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Grown Up Paper Dolls


Is anyone out there old enough to remember playing with paper dolls?  When I was growing up, I would play with them from time to time before Barbie and all her clothes came along.  It was fun to play fashion   on paper and kind of funny that I am now doing it again- this time on canvas- years later.

When I began the fashion collages with the girls in my studio class, it was just to give them a little practice in designing and preparing a background with a focal point in mind, as well as to use some different mediums--paint, paper, oil crayon, etc.- to create their subject.  What was a practical exercise for them has become a new series for me.



This happy accident led led me to title my new series "Serendipity" which is defined as: the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way such as "a fortunate stroke of serendipity".

Gigi- the latest piece- was really quite fun to create and came together rather quickly.  I fell in love with a certain paper from my flat file that had a steely gray background and some really happy Japanese cherry blossoms in reddish pinks and creams.  (This is kind of like choosing your socks then building your outfit around them.)  I wanted to paint a background that would bring out that particular color in a sea of black, red and grey papers, so I started with a medium pink and added some streaks of red, hotter pink and cream. Some wonderful cut out numbers gave the piece even more dimension. With the addition of one polka dotted hat and elegant black gloves,  Gigi is ready to take the town by storm----

For more musings, thoughts, and an occasional quip, follow me on braitzatl on Twitter. For real life creations, visit my website at www.echoclothingcompany.etsy.com




No comments:

Post a Comment